Monday, April 15, 2013

I Ate the Bones - a "feel bad" ad campaign



I really like this KFC ad campaign "I Ate the Bones" promoting their boneless chicken. Funny and memorable way to get their point across.

Sort of a "feel bad" strategy. I really can't stand most of those dumbed down "feel good" commercials, with no good reasons to choose a brand, just balloons and music and jumping around ecstatically.

If all a product does is make you feel good emotionally, or it enhances your lifestyle which makes you feel good, I can see using a "feel good" ad campaign.

But when you offer no solid logic as to why your brand is better, using a "feel good" ad campaign is a cop-out. You can't tell us why your brand is better than the competition? Why don't you try asking satisfied customers?

I'm going to spend a huge amount of money on your product, and all you can communicate to me is the "good feeling" I'll have as an owner? I'll feel good, based on what?

Do your homework. Talk to your customers. Find out what differentiates your brand from your competitors. If you're offering something new, but your competitors also offer the same thing, use some imagination to dramatize your new product.

This "I Ate the Bones" campaign is a great example of creativity that focuses squarely on the product, in a light-hearted, humorous manner.




No comments: