Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Duck Dynasty and Racist Homophobic Remarks



When conservatives, traditional family values advocates, and religious types rally behind people like Phil Robertson, they make their beliefs look foolish. Or fascist.

It's like when extreme partisans rally behind anybody in their political party, no matter how criminal, stupid, or corrupt they are. Reform will never arrive as long as we keep propping up the worst among us, just because they're supposedly "on our side."

I'm dismayed that Phil Robertson would say things that would taint his family ministry and TV show. He was not "wise as a serpent, but harmless as a dove." 

He did not "show wisdom to them who are without Christ". He should have known that expressing his opinions in such an aggressive and provocative manner would cause trouble.

I think he's been hanging around Paula Deen or Ted Haggard too much.

This is not about freedom of speech, it's about decency of speech.

Phil Robertson should have known that his unseemly remark would cause unnecessary trouble and damage to his brand. His explicit statement was not appropriate for a Christian celebrity to make.

On the topic of gays, all he needed to say was he believes what the Bible teaches about homosexuality. That statement would be controversial and hated by many, but at least it would avoid a macho display of Super Hetero Man and unnecessarily explicit sexual talk.

He said instead: "“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying?"

His racist remarks: “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

I can't imagine Jesus saying any of this diabolical nonsense. In fact, Jesus never said one word about gays or about white supremacy, since Jesus was not white, but was a dark skinned Jew.

Some supporters of Phil Robertson say he wants to save gays from an eternity in hell -- and that's why he speaks coarsely about what they do in bed. Wow. Isn't Phil a great soul winner. I'm sure his approach is winning converts all over the world.

I can't wait for Phil Robertson the Evangelist, "saving people from hell," starts speaking against warmongering, materialism, greed, and how it's almost impossible for the rich to go to heaven. Why say gays don't go to heaven, when Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell everything and give the money to the poor?

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." Matthew 19:23

So now we have a so-called "Christian" (I call these types Churchians), proclaiming the Gospel of White Supremacy, the Good News of Black Slavery, the joys and honors of racial oppression, the message of Humiliate the Gays By Describing Gay vs. Hetero Sex Acts with Explicit Language?

Shame on anyone who defends this man's undignified statements and ungodly attitudes.

Read More

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2nxDrTnka





Pin It

No comments: