Friday, January 16, 2015

My Favorite Downton Abbey Quotes



Downton Abbey has so many literary gems in the dialogues. Here are some of the best Downton Abbey quotes, but there are splendidly more where these came from.

Sympathy butters no parsnips.

Violet:The monarchy has thrived on magic and mystery, strip them away and people may think the royal family is just like us.
Isobel: Would that be so wrong?
Violet: Well, only if they want to stay in Buckingham Palace.

Carson: The business of life is the acquisition of memories. In the end that's all there is.

Violet: There is nothing simpler than avoiding people you don't like. Avoiding one's friends, that is the real test.

Violet: I wonder your halo doesn't grow heavy. It must be like wearing a tiara around the clock.

Robert: They do say there's a wild man inside all of us.
Violet: If only he would stay inside.

Isobel: You take everything as a compliment.
Violet: I advise you to do the same. It saves many an awkward moment.

Isobel: Fear not, I've never traveled with a maid. You can share my knowledge of the jungle.
Violet: Can't you even offer help without sounding like a trumpeter on the peak of the moral high ground?

Ethan: Would you care to try one of these? I think they're quite nice.
Carson: Have you lost your mind?
Ethan: Why? What have I done?
Carson: You're a footman, not a traveling salesman. Please keep your opinions on the catering to yourself.

Daisy: You've still kept me here with a dishonest representation.
Mrs. Patmore: Oh dear, have you swallowed a dictionary?

Molesley: I thought I'd make some coffee, would you like a cup?
Baxter: No thank you.
Molesley: It's just a cup of coffee, you won't have to surrender any of your independence.

Mr. Carson: But what does it matter anyway? We shout and scream and wail and cry, but in the end we must all die.
Mrs. Hughes: Well. That’s cheered me up. I’ll get on with my work.

Mr. Carson: Alfred has embarrassed the family. He forced Mr. Matthew to appear downstairs improperly dressed.
Miss O'Brien: Oh! You make it sound quite exciting.

Daisy: Don't you believe in spirits then?
Mrs. Hughes: Well, I don't believe they play board games.

Carson: Miss O'Brien, we are about to hire a footman, and I have no time to be training hobbledeehoys.

Pin It

No comments: